What Can I Do if My Georgia Car Crash Police Report Is Wrong?

close up of text on a police reportAfter a car crash, there are a lot of things to do, especially if you have any injuries. Whether or not your police report is correct is probably the furthest thing from your mind. However, if the details in your police report are wrong, it could cause problems for any claim you pursue for damages.

At Roden Law, we dive into some of the critical details a police report provides and why they matter to your injury claim. We also talk about what you can do if any of the information in this report is not correct.

Injured in a crash caused by another driver? Have questions about how to recover compensation for things like medical costs and lost wages? Our experienced car crash attorneys in Savannah have answers and we are here to help you. Call our law offices in Georgia anytime, night or day, to request your initial consultation. It is completely free, confidential and carries no obligation to file a claim.

Request your FREE case review today. 1 (844) RESULTS

Are Police Reports Required in Georgia?

Police reports are required in Georgia in the following circumstances:

  • An injury or fatality resulted from the crash
  • There was property damage estimated at $500 or more
  • Your insurance company requires a police report

What Errors Could I Find On My Police Report?

There are generally three types of errors that you might find on your police report, including:

Factual Mistakes

A factual mistake is easier to make than you may realize. Crash scenes are often chaotic. The first responders may initially be more focused on getting medical help for anyone who is injured. Maybe the officer is at the end of his or her shift or had a bad night. Like all of us, they are vulnerable to making mistakes. A factual mistake could include:

  • Wrong make, model or color of your vehicle or the other driver’s vehicle
  • License plate numbers may be wrong
  • Incorrect driver’s license numbers
  • Incorrect names and addresses of either driver involved
  • Wrong time and/or date for when the crash occurred
  • Location is not where the crash occurred

Facts From Your Statement Are Incorrect or Left Out

The responding officer may have written your statement down wrong. For instance, say you said the other driver ran a red light, but the officer wrote that you said the other driver had a yellow light.

Omission errors are also common. For example, if you told the officer that you injured your back and neck in the crash, but he or she instead documented that you said you had no injuries.

Disputed Errors

Disputed errors are subjective statements or information that was recorded in the police report. These types of errors are probably the hardest to get removed. However, even if you cannot get them removed, you may be able to get them amended. These types of errors, especially, may be best handled with the assistance of a lawyer.

Why It Is Important To Remove Errors From Your Police Report

Mistakes in a police report could negatively affect your claim in many ways. Whether the information is wrong, left out or there are some other errors, it is important to get them corrected or amended as quickly as possible.

For instance, if you do not correct the fact about the other driver running the red light, you could get unfairly blamed for more than your share of fault. If that happens, it could impact how much you get compensated for your losses. This is because Georgia follows a modified comparative fault system.

Georgia’s Modified Comparative Negligence Rule

If you are deemed to be 50 percent or more at fault for an accident in Georgia, you cannot recover any of your damages. Even if you are assessed with less than 50 percent of the fault, any compensation you receive will be reduced.

An example of this is if you are assessed with 20 percent of the fault when you were actually not at fault at all. If you were awarded $100,000 for your damages in that situation, you would only get $80,000. That is $20,000 lost on an error.

How Do I Get Mistakes Removed

Depending on the type of error you find, there are several ways to get mistakes removed from your police report.

Get a Copy of Your Savannah Police Report

The first step is to request a copy of your police report right away. You can do this in person, by phone, by fax, snail mail or by email.

The longer you wait to fix a report with errors on it, the more likely it is the officer who documented your report may not remember details about it.

Correcting Factual Mistakes

Usually, providing documents with the correct details is enough to fix errors. If the license plate of your vehicle was documented incorrectly, for example, providing a copy of your current registration should be enough to get this changed.

Changing or Amending Subjective Information:

Statements that are subjective or disputable are tougher to fix, but you can try to get these changed or at least amended by taking these steps:

  • Contact the officer listed on the report and politely explain the error.
  • Ask if they can correct the statement.
  • If they will not change the statement, you can write your own account about the accident. Keep it concise and make sure it is clear and easy to read. Then sign, date it, and send it with a request to have your amendment attached to the original report.
  • When you write your statement, be sure that it is not just your opinion. Provide the facts without rambling – be clear, be brief and give details. If you have additional supporting evidence, like photos or dash cam footage, work with your attorney on the best way to send this amendment.

Injured in a Car Crash? Call Roden Law for Legal Help

The aftermath of any car crash is a traumatic event for all involved. Dealing with injuries, doctors’ appointments, medical costs, insurance companies and more is overwhelming.

At Roden Law, you are not just a number. We work tirelessly for our clients in Savannah and throughout Georgia, seeking the maximum possible compensation for your losses. Call us today to learn more. Your initial consultation is completely free, and there are no upfront costs or fees to pay.

You do not have to handle your case alone. Call: 1 (844) RESULTS today.