Types of Major Injuries From ‘Minor’ Car Accidents

woman after minor car accidentIt may surprise you to learn that a common fender bender could cause you serious physical harm. Below, Roden Law discusses different types of significant injuries an accident victim may suffer in a low-speed car crash that many people may think of as a minor accident.

If you have sustained serious injuries in a car crash because of another’s negligence, you may be able to recover damages. Our Savannah car accident lawyers are prepared to review the circumstances of your accident in a free, no-obligation consultation.

Types of Serious Injuries After a Minor Car Crash

A “minor” car crash is one that does not cause significant damage to the vehicles involved or one that occurs at a low speed, such as 10 miles per hour. While a car that weighs several tons may be able to withstand the force of impact with little damage, the vulnerable human body often cannot. In fact, very often, the resulting injuries from a low-speed collision may be significant, causing chronic pain and suffering. Some of these injuries may include:

  • Whiplash – A strain or sprain of the neck and/or shoulders commonly occurring in car accidents when the body is violently jolted forward, causing the head to snap forward and backward. Whiplash can lead to the development of other serious injuries, including permanent nerve damage.
  • Traumatic brain injuries – If the head is violently shaken in an accident or impacts a hard surface, such as the steering wheel or dashboard, a traumatic brain injury may result. Other serious brain injuries such as skull fractures, hematomas or concussions can also happen.
  • Soft tissue injuries – Strains, sprains and tears to an accident victim’s ligaments, tendons, muscles and skin are common injuries sustained in minor accidents, especially among elderly accident victims or others with preexisting injuries.

These injuries often require lengthy treatments, including physical therapy, and take several weeks or months to achieve maximum recovery. This can result in expensive medical bills, lost wages and a painful recovery process.

Connecting an Injury to a Low-Speed Crash

It can be difficult to link injuries to low-speed crashes. An experienced lawyer understands this and may hire an accident reconstructionist or medical expert who can explain how the accident happened and how the crash caused the victim’s injuries. This could help convince an insurance adjuster or jury about the validity of your claim.

How Georgia’s Proportional Comparative Fault Law May Impact Your Claim

Georgia’s comparative fault system bars plaintiffs who were 50 percent or more at fault from recovering compensation for damages in a personal injury accident.

An accident victim with a percentage of fault that is less than 50 percent may still recover damages from other liable parties. However, the final award in this scenario would be reduced by his or her degree of fault.

For example, if you were slightly speeding when a driver turned left in front of you, you may be determined to be 20 percent at fault while the other driver may be found 80 percent at fault. If your damages were $100,000, you would recover $80,000 less the $20,000 in damages that were attributed to your own negligence.

This rule applies if a judge or jury must determine your compensation, but insurance adjusters also apply this principle to reduce the value of accident victims’ claims.

Contact Roden Law to Discuss Your Accident

If you suffered injuries from a minor car accident, you may be eligible to recover damages that could include lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.

If you have a case and hire us to represent you, we are prepared to handle the entire legal process on your behalf, allowing you to focus on healing.

We collect no attorney fees up front. Since we accept personal injury claims on contingency, we only get paid if we win money for you.